Retro Nostalgia Radio Show

10.1.07

Kertukai


Big-Beat band Kertukai was formed in Kaunas, Lithuania, in 1966. Officially they were called Vokal & Instrumental Ensamble of Kaunas Polytechnic Institute (Kauno Politechnikos Institutas or KPI).


Rhythm guitarist and vocalist Vydmantas Juronis formed Kertukai in the first place, wrote music and texts to all original songs. The music leader was Gediminas Jurgilas. He played on keyboards. Other members are: Saulius Lukošius - vocal & lead guitar, Feliksas Tulcinas – bass guitar, Alius Tatarskis – drums. Also, Simas Taršys and Gražina Akstinaitė on vocal.

Never being officially released on vinyl, Kertukai gained a fantastic popularity in Lithuanina. Their tapes (usually recorded live on concerts) were very famous among the youths. They played on dances and travelled all over Lithuania, were regular on radio.

The repertoire contains instrumental numbers, famous cover songs, original songs, like "Lopšinė" ("Lullaby") and traditional tunes.

In the late 1960's they appeared in Lithuanian motion picture "Ave Vita".


Here you can hear the tracks that were digitilized from old tapes – both instrumentals and vocal numbers. Kertukai usually sang in Lithuanian. For example, an old country/rockabilly hit "Long Tall Texan" became "Ilgas Plonas Techasietis".


If you have more records (or better quality) - contact me, please!

Big thanks to Vydmantas Juronis for the information!!!

:-)

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. It seems to me I have
"Cry.." with a bit better quality. I'll check and inform.
Did the group play Apachi ?
Only now I understand that I missed a lot when in 70-80 I had friend in Kaunas and often visited
plant on business. I could have asked music of Kertukai...
Yuri A

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Blogger Karel said...

Yep, I think they played this number, but I haven't got it yet.
One fan from Lithuania said he will research... Well, I hope :)
Cheers!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Anonymous johnny carson said...

Hello, dear Karel,
check this link:
http://www.orbitfiles.com/download/ferrum - You will find more stuff from Kertukai;) As well as from Gintareliai (The Ambers), Geliu Vaikai (Flower Children) or Eglutes (The Firs).

Hope this helps a little;)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

 
Blogger Karel said...

Hello and million thanks, Johnny!

Offcourse that helps a lot! :)

Cheers!

Karel.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

 
Blogger Madam_Buterbrod said...

Hey, that link, johnny carson have posted (http://www.orbitfiles.com/download/ferrum) , doesn't work now. Maybe someone could store this collection somewhere again? It would be wonderful. Thanks.

Monday, December 10, 2007

 
Blogger Karel said...

Dear Buterbrod :)

I can send you the files I dowbloaded from that page. E-mail me on the address in my profile.

Cheers,
K.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

 
Blogger vijurka said...

Hello, Karel
Excuse me my bad English. Thank You for Your work to save information about old music.
I am Vydmantas Juronis - member of Lithuanian group "Kertukai". There are some inaccuracy about our history and if it is important for You we can discuss about it. I read comments and can answer: Yes, we played "Apachi". If You have more questions I'll try help you...

Friday, January 25, 2008

 
Blogger Karel said...

Hello, Vydmantas! It's very good to hear from you! I'd like to correct information and I also have questions for you :) Would please drop me a line at manzerock@gmail.com?
Best wishes!!!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vydmantai,

I would like more information about your band. Could you send me an email please IevaSkuse@hotmail.com

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

 
Blogger naJuste said...

Hey, great!!! Thanks for writing.
And greetings from Lithuania!!!!!

Friday, July 24, 2009

 
Blogger Karel said...

Hi, good to hear from you, naJuste :)

Monday, November 30, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello and million thanks for saving old nice records, Johnny!
I'd like to found or listen some records, which you wrote about - KERTUKAI,EGLUTES,GINTARELIAI,GELIU vaikai and possible, many many more.
Could you send or show some place where is uploaded it?
Which is your area of interest? Is it only Baltic states music, bigbyte OR some bigger musical area?
Pls, help me!
muzika_is_kzlt@yahoo.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

 
Blogger PEMUDA70AN said...

hello mr. karel, please reupload

Thursday, November 29, 2012

 
Blogger PEMUDA70AN said...

hello mr. karel, please reupload

Saturday, December 01, 2012

 

Post a Comment

<< Home